HAND TOOLS VS POWER TOOLS : WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?
As a DIY enthusiast, home owner or tool user,one may tend to come across and use different kinds of tools in order to make our work easier. However, when it comes to making a choice as to which type of tool is better for you. From research we have discovered that, most tool users are torn between hand tools and power tools. The choice of tool made should depend on the needs, preferences, and budget of the users. It is thus very important to have a good understanding of the differences between power tools and hand tools, so as to be in a better position to decide the one which is most beneficial for the job at hand. This articles is well researched and in it we try to help readers to know the difference between these two and hence choose right at all times.
Table of Contents
WHAT IS A HAND TOOL?
A hand tool is a tool that is operated manually and does not require the use of a cord, battery, compressed air or power source to be operational. They have been used by humans since the Stone Age and can be used to perform many types of functions such as wrenching, crimping, cutting, hammering etc.
BENEFITS OF USING HAND TOOLS
- Hand tools do not require mechanical parts and have few moving parts. This eliminates the fear of them being damaged, and they thus last longer than power tools.
- With the hand tools, users have more control over the movement of the tool, and this makes them very valuable for jobs that require finely detailed work as well as wood carving.
- The hand tools are always available for use as they don’t need power or need to be recharged before use. They can be used anytime the user wants to use them.
- Hand tools are handy and can be easily moved from one place to another due to their light weight and compact size.
DIS-ADVANTAGES OF HAND TOOLS
The following are some dis-advantages of the hand tool:
- Hand tools are not as efficient or powerful as power tools and may take a longer time than power tools to complete a job. For example, it can take two or three hits to drive a nail into a piece of wood when using a hammer, but it takes just one squeeze of the trigger to drive a nail when using a nail gun.
- With hand tools there is less accuracy, precision and speed compared to power tools, due to the human effect.
Having taken note of all of these dis-advantages, it is important to state that hand tools are very much useful and play an important role in many hand works and industries alike. Craftsmen enjoy using hand tools to get the desired effect they need for their jobs.
WHAT IS A POWER TOOL?
A power tool is a tool that requires the use of an engine and/or power source to be fully operational. They are automatic and can work without human intervention. They are much more powerful and perform jobs more quickly than hand tools.
ADVANTAGES OF USING POWER TOOLS
Power tools are the tools of choice when you want accuracy and efficiency in your work and they have the following advantages:
- Power tools are much more powerful than hand tools and have motors, a power source, battery and electricity, on which they run. This has an added advantage and makes them the tool of choice among many tool users.
- Power tools also have greater accuracy and are faster than hand tools. There is also more precision achieved when a power tool is used for jobs.
- Power tools are used for jobs that are difficult or hard for hand tools to perform. For example, jack hammers are used to drive nails into concrete walls, something which is difficult for normal hand hammers to achieve. This allows contractors to secure concrete anchors into walls so as to secure them to concrete floors.
Power tools are safer to use than hand tools. Power tools are also dangerous as one needs to adhere to the safety instructions when using them.
DISADVANTAGES OF USING POWER TOOLS
There are only a few disadvantages of using power tools. The main disadvantages include the following:
- Power tools require a power source, and as such remain useless if there is no power source available or if the battery by which they run is depleted.
- Power tools are much more expensive to maintain as they require servicing once in a while to maintain good quality service delivery.
Power tools possess complex mechanical parts which are prone to failure or damage with usage. When it happens they become useless until they are fixed or replaced.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN HAND TOOLS AND POWER TOOLS
|HAND TOOLS||POWER TOOLS|
|They require no power source to operate.||They require a power source to operate.|
|They require manual labor.||They do not require manual labor.|
|They have few parts and have simple design.||They consist of motors and other mechanisms that makes them run faster.|
|Hand tools are less efficient than power tools.||Power tools are more efficient and faster than hand tools.|
|Hand tools require a lower level of expertise than power tools.||Power tools require a high level of expertise and safety precautions.|
We have come a long way and by now you must have a very good idea of the differences that exist between power tools and hand tools. Hence when choosing the tool best suited for you, use this as a guide. Choose based on the type of job you have at hand, power required, the delivery time and level of accuracy needed. These tools are useful and will surely help you achieve a desired results when you use them. Till we see again, enjoy your tools and remain good.