Best Staple Gun for Upholstery Review and Buyer’s Guide 2021
An upholstery staple gun is a must-have for any woodworking expert. Actually, even if you are not deep into woodworking, an upholstery staple gun is a handy tool to have around the house you can use it to reupholster old sofas, patio screens, secure insulation and do other exciting DIY projects.
However, as you shop for a staple gun, there are some issues you should take into consideration. Things like quality and versatility come into play when choosing an upholstery staple gun. Safety is also something you should seriously consider, as well as the stapling quality the gun can give you.
In this guide, we look at some of the best staple gun for upholstery. We will also look at a number of reasons why we believe they rank so well. With these staple guns, we believe you will be happy with your purchase.
However, since every person’s needs can vary considerably, we have reviewed half a dozen top products. Among these, we are sure you will find an upholstery staple gun that is more than suitable for your needs.
Additionally, we have provided a buyer’s guide you can use when shopping for upholstery gun. Some common and important questions regarding upholstery guns have also been answered.
So finally, we have revealed our recommended best picks to help you make a quick decision as you shop for an upholstery gun.
So, this guide is a must-read if you want to make the right decision as you order an upholstery staple gun.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Staple Gun for Upholstery: Comparison Table
- 2 Best Staple Gun for Upholstery Reviews
- 2.1 1. Porter-Cable US58 Upholstery Stapler
- 2.2 Highlighted Features
- 2.3 2. Fasco 11081F Dual-Fast 50 Series Upholstery Stapler
- 2.4 3. FPC Corporation Surebonder Pneumatic Heavy Duty Stapler
- 2.5 4. Stanley TR45K Light Duty Staple Gun Kit
- 2.6 5. Maestri ME 3G Electric Stapler
- 2.7 6. Unicatch USC71/16L Long Nose Upholstery Stapler
- 3 Buyer’s Guide for Upholstery Staple Guns
- 4 Additional Information
- 5 Our Recommended
- 6 Overall Verdict
Best Staple Gun for Upholstery: Comparison Table
|Porter-Cable US58 Upholstery Stapler||Gauge: 22-Gauge
Weight: 1.75 pound
|Fasco 11081F Dual-Fast 50 Series||Gauge: 20-Gauge
Crown: 1/2-inch Crown
Weight: 2.75 pound
|Surebonder 9600B Pneumatic Heavy Duty Standard T50||Gauge: 18-Gauge
Crown: narrow (3/8 inch)
Weight: 3.22 pound
|Stanley TR45K Light Duty Staple Gun Kit||Gauge: 22-Gauge
Weight: 1 pound
|Maestri ME 3G Electric Stapler||Gauge: 22-Gauge
Weight: 2.4 pound
|Unicatch USC71/16L Long Nose Upholstery Stapler||Gauge: 22-Gauge
Weight: 2.55 pound
Best Staple Gun for Upholstery Reviews
1. Porter-Cable US58 Upholstery Stapler
There are a couple of reasons this upholstery staple gun has to appear among the best. For instance, it’s enhanced durability, thanks to toasted top cap.
A great user experience is also among the upsides to owning this particular gun. In particular, the gun features rear exhaust port channels that keep air and oil away from you during use.
Clearing jams are also especially comfortable with this staple gun, thanks to a driver guide that moves back with the magazine. All the user needs to do is open the magazine, and the jam will be gone.
Porter-Cable also took into consideration special usage conditions, such as limited clearance. To take care of this challenge, the staple gun has a 1-inch nose extension.
Otherwise, Porter-Cable upholstery stapler is light in weight and therefore easy to wield. Additionally, it offers a comfortable user experience for a great all-around use experience.
- Uses Senco Type 22 gauge 3/8-inch crown staples from 1/4 to 5/8 inches.
- Rear exhaust channels.
- 1-inch nose extension.
- Steel top cap.
- Requires 70-120 PSI air pressure.
- A high-capacity bottom-load magazine with a 185-staple capacity.
- Light in weight, hence comfortable to use.
- Jams are easy to clean.
- Easy to operate.
- Built to last, thanks to high-quality construction materials.
- Not bulky hence easy to use.
- Suitable for use in limited clearance situations.
- Has a high-capacity magazine.
- Might be a little inadequate for highly demanding professional jobs.
- Staples might be a hustle to find.
2. Fasco 11081F Dual-Fast 50 Series Upholstery Stapler
This is one of the most efficient and reliable upholstery staple guns for a reason. The gun is suitable for professional woodworkers. Additionally, the stapler is also easy to use and affordable enough to be a viable option for non-professional users.
The gun is also made of high-quality construction materials, making very dependable. This, in addition to easy user experience, makes the product a top choice for buyers who want the best upholstery staplers they can get their hands on.
Despite a sturdy aluminum housing, the stapler is also light in weight; and hence quite easy to wield. Therefore it is suitable for prolonged use. The unique design of this staple also reduces incidences of jams considerably, which translates into a smoother workflow.
- Single length magazine.
- For use with 1/4 to 5/8 inch staples.
- Single shot stapling capability.
- Accepts staples similar to those of the Duo.
- Fast 50 series.
- Powerful stapling suitable for professional applications.
- Light in weight and hence ideal for extended usage sessions.
- Designed for quick stapling, thanks to the single shot stapler.
- Easy to use, even for beginners.
- No jamming issues.
- Highly durable.
- Ergonomic due to a comfortable rubber grip.
- Some misfires when loaded with partial staple rows.
- The safety trigger gets in the way, but it falls off with use.
- Trigger switch could be better, but still more than adequate.
3. FPC Corporation Surebonder Pneumatic Heavy Duty Stapler
As far as we know, this is one of the leading upholstery staple guns you can find. The air-operated gadget is suitable for a wide range of upholstery applications.
In fact, it is one of the best guns that can firmly stand up to the demands of commercial woodworking projects. That said, beginners are more than welcome to give it a go — it is easy to use, and its versatility makes it a handy possession to have around the home.
Among other things, it can be used on picture frames, cabinet backs, upholstery, house wrap, and so forth. Also, as mentioned earlier, it is perfect for commercial severe woodworking projects.
The stapling gun is loaded with many great features. The use of narrow crown wire staples makes it more suited to commercial applications where precision work is desired.
- Adjustable air exhaust.
- Relies on Surebonder #4 staples.
- Can also use Arrow T50 type staples.
- Uses standard staples of between 1/4 and 9/16 inches.
- A safety mechanism.
- 100-staple magazine capacity.
- Quick-release magazine.
- Works with between 60-100 PSI of pressure.
- Quick release male connector.
- Heavy duty stapling gun suited to commercial uses.
- Suited for precision stapling jobs.
- A versatile staple gun with several uses beyond upholstering.
- Suitable for both domestic and commercial woodworking projects.
- The rubber cushioned handle ensures a comfortable use experience.
- Easy staple loading capability for added use convenience.
- Good instruction set for enhanced user experience.
- Offers fast stapling action.
- Great construction quality.
- A few misfires here and there.
- Though adequate, the stapler capacity could be a little higher.
4. Stanley TR45K Light Duty Staple Gun Kit
This chrome-plated upholstery staple gun is among the best options buyers have at their disposal as they shop for these gadgets. After taking a look at what this staple gun is all about, we are happy to recommend it to anyone in search of a good household stapling device.
It might not be designed to address the heavy-duty demands of a commercial woodworking project, but it will do a brilliant job where light-duty stapling is necessary. Nevertheless, the construction quality makes the gun great in scenarios where it needs to be used on a daily basis.
Quality results is something you can expect when using this stapling gun. It consistently delivers as promised, and that is a huge plus.
- Works with Stanley TRA200 or Arrow JT.
- 21 light-duty staples.
- Handle lock for safer storage.
- Chrome-plated steel construction.
- Quick jam clearing mechanism.
- Durable due to the use of steel construction.
- The chrome finish gives the stapler great aesthetic appeal.
- Versatile enough to be used for various stapling tasks around the home.
- Easy to use, even for novices.
- Jams are easy to clear, thanks to a special jam-clearing feature.
- Easy to store due to a specially designed handle lock.
- Dependable stapling action.
- Light in weight hence very convenient to use.
- Highly durable due to the premium steel construction.
- For light-duty stapling, therefore not suited to commercial applications.
- Jams, though easy to clear, can be quite regular.
5. Maestri ME 3G Electric Stapler
If you are hell-bent on getting the best electric stapler there is, then you have to know about this Maestri model. The gun offers an efficient, easy and noiseless use experience, thanks to less recoil action during use.
As you probably know, in comparison to pneumatic stapling guns, electric staplers do not pack lots of stapling power, but this model does a great job of delivering much power for an instrument featuring this design.
More importantly, the Maestri ME 3G is up to the demands of any upholstering jobs. It is capable of quick stapling action, and its user experience makes it suitable for anyone in search of a stapler that offers enhanced user convenience.
- For use with 3G, 7C, and 71 Series 3/8-inch Crown staples of up to 5/8 inches long.
- Works with 110-volt input current.
- Easy to use, therefore well-suited to novice users.
- Great for upholstering tasks.
- Annoying staple jams not an issue with this staple gun.
- Works efficiently, therefore quite reliable for everyday use.
- Can handle precision jobs.
- Great construction quality, consequently long lasting.
- Easy to maintain.
- Highly portable.
- Does not have much power, therefore inadequate for heavy duty stapling jobs.
- A little limited about versatility, might not do much else besides upholstering.
- Quite heavy in comparison to other stapling guns on this list.
- Finding spares might be a bit challenging.
6. Unicatch USC71/16L Long Nose Upholstery Stapler
As far as long nose upholstery stapling guns go, this is without a doubt one of the best staplers you can buy. Being a pneumatic stapler, it provides powerful stapling action in addition to the extra reach. The Unicatch is very well-made. It features high-quality construction materials that make it stand out for’ durability and reliability. Its design also makes it easy to use for all users, including beginners. Still, it can be also be used for commercial woodworking projects as it delivers quality results.
Best of all, it is not just suitable for projects where a long reach is necessary. The gun will also deliver incredible results during regular upholstery stapling tasks.
- Uses 22 Gauge 3/8-inch crown staples.
- Long nose stapling end.
- Bottom loading staple magazine.
- Uses Senco C, Bea 71, Fasco 7C, and Spotnails 71 staples.
- Magazine capacity for about 178 staples.
- Works with the pressure of between 65 and 120 PSI.
- The debris stays out of the way for a more comfortable use convenience, thanks to a bottom-loading feature.
- Because of the long nose, the stapler is uniquely useful in scenarios where an added reach is required.
- Small in size and hence quite portable.
- Loading staples is fast and easy.
- Can work with a broad range of staples.
- A high-capacity staple capacity for sustained stapling action.
- Lightweight and so more convenient to use.
- Easy to use, even for novice users.
- Quite susceptible to skipping and jamming.
- Customer support a little wanting.
Buyer’s Guide for Upholstery Staple Guns
A staple gun has a variety of purposes around a home or a wood workshop. In fact, if you have not owned one before, you will wonder how you survived without it after making your purchase. You see, these tools are just not useful for upholstery.
As mentioned at the beginning of this guide, they can also be used to hold carpets in place, reupholster old chairs, frame artworks, do home and office repairs, and do other jobs that require staplers as fasteners.
What You Need to Know When Buying Best Staple Gun for Upholstery
- Know the Difference between Manual, Electric, and Pneumatic Upholstery Staple Guns, In general, we have manual, electric, and pneumatic staple guns. Manual staple guns don’t require any power source. Unfortunately, the brute physical effort required to operate manual staple guns can hurt your arms.Electric guns run on power are more convenient, but they are not as potent as pneumatic upholstery guns. Therefore, many of the best upholstery staple guns operate on air pressure. Still, price and personal preferences will determine the right type of upholstery gun for you.
- Reliability one of the things you have to look out for when shopping for a staple gun is how reliable it is For instance, jamming is one of the worst things you can face when using these tools.Some brands are known to make stapling guns with consistent jamming issues. Therefore, you should be keen to get a model that users associate with minimal incidences of jamming for a better user experience.
- Staple Gun Quality When you buy an upholstery staple gun, you will expect it to serve you for more than a couple of months before calling it quits. Unfortunately, some models will not always give you this privilege.For this reason, you have to choose from among the best-rated upholstery staple guns to get a high-quality product.
- Use Convenience Usually, use convenience goes hand in hand with the weight of the staple gun. Lighter guns are easier to use in general. However, there are other things to consider as well, such as the trigger action in the gun and the convenience of loading the staples into the magazine.
- Price At the end of the day, price still plays a role in your purchase decision as you shop for an upholstery stapling gun. Fortunately, you can still find lower-priced models that outperform pricier alternatives in the market today.
- What is a standard staple? A standard staple measures 1/4 inches.
- What is the difference between an upholstery staple gun and other kinds of staple guns? Usually, the size of the staples they use.
- What is the difference between light and heavy duty upholstery stapling guns? Light duty stapling guns use smaller staples and have less power in comparison to heavy duty staple guns.
- How many staples can a gun magazine hold? This depends on the model. Some can hold about around 100 while others can keep about 200 staples.
- What are the best types of upholstery guns? Generally, pneumatic guns because they have enough power.
- What are the best staples for upholstery? Upholstery requires typically staples measuring 5/16 inches (8mm).
Best Picks For light duty upholstery work, we recommend the Stanley TR45K Light Duty Staple Gun. Although the gun cannot handle heavy duty stapling, it is very durable and reliable for day to day use.
Other reasons it stands out, even among the best, include its lightweight, excellent storage convenience, and easy clearing of jams.
Otherwise, if you want a powerful, high-quality staple gun that can take anything you can throw at it.
We recommend the FPC Corporation Surebonder Pneumatic Heavy Duty Stapler although suited to heavy-duty professional jobs, and the gun is also easy on beginners.
Its versatility also makes it one of the best options you have, since you can use it for any range of stapling jobs around the home, office or workshop.
Choosing best staple gun for upholstery can be tedious and even complicated. However, this guide should make the process a lot easier above; we have looked at six of the best upholstery guns you can buy.
Two of these staple guns are electric, and the rest are pneumatic, which means they are powered by air pressure.
Overall, we recommend the Stanley TR45K Light Duty staple gun for light every day home and office stapling needs. However, for truly powerful stapling action, commercial or otherwise, we suggest you try the FPC Corporation Surebonder heavy duty alternative.
We believe you will be happy with your purchase with these two, or any other option on our list of the best upholstery guns above based on your specific stapling needs.