Best Pin Nailer 2018 – Reviews & Buying Guide
If you frequently handle delicate materials on your projects, you will definitely need a pin nailer. A pin nailer is an instrument that is mean to handle the weak areas of your furniture, that may get damaged when handled with the regular nail guns.
Out there in the market, there are numerous brands of pin nailer. You may be left spoilt for choice once you visit the stores looking for one. In this article, we will take a look at the best pin nailers 2018 to help you make an informed choice when you go out looking for one. To begin with, let us first have a look at the different types of pin nailers that are available in the market.
Types of Pin Nailers
Pin nailers come in two types; electronic and the pneumatic type. Their main difference is the mode of operation.
- Electronic Pin Nailer
This type operates on battery. When the battery fully charged you are good to keep working on your project.
- Pneumatic Pin Nailer
The pneumatic type operates on an air compressor. In this case you will need to acquire an air compressor alongside the nailing pin.
If you need a powerful pin nailer that will offer you a long term service, the electric pin nailer will be ideal for you. On the other hand if you need a cost-effective and compact pin nailer you may want to purchase the pneumatic type.
Below is a list of the best models that are cost effective & well featured for the job.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Pin Nailer Reviews ( Top 8 )
- 1.1 1/ Hitachi NP35A
- 1.2 2/ PORTER-CABLE PIN138
- 1.3 3/ PORTER-CABLE PIN100
- 1.4 4/ BOSTITCH HP118K
- 1.5 5/ Grex P635
- 1.6 6/ Grex P650L
- 1.7 7/ Fasco 11297F F23C A64-50PB
- 1.8 8/ Senco 8F0001N
- 2 Buying Guide
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Our Verdict
Best Pin Nailer Reviews ( Top 8 )
1/ Hitachi NP35A
If you are a professional woodworker in search of a powerful pin nailer, we recommend the Hitachi NP35A pin nailer 23 gauge for you. It comes with outstanding features that will provide a woodworker with all they need to perform their activities effectively.
- No Mar Tips
The Hitachi NP35A features two no mar tips, which enhance convenience of use. This feature ensures that no scratches or dents occur on soft wood materials when the tool is in use.
- Reload Gauge
To avoid fry firing instances, this pin nailer comes with a reload indicator that keeps the user informed of low nail quantity in the tool.
- Exhaust Threshold
This tool comes with a rear exhaust that provides the user with a friendly working environment. Exhaust threshold ensures that, any excess oil or debris does not spill over to the user or the surface during use.
- Detachable Nose
The Hitachi NP35A pin nailer also features a removable nose that provides the user with easy jam cleaning.
Compared to other types of pin nailers, the Hitachi NP35A is pretty lightweight weighing only 2 pounds.
- Enhanced safety and accuracy with the dual trigger capability.
- Maintains a clean working environment with the rear exhaust feature.
- It is compact thanks to its lightweight design.
- Your wood or furniture will remain in good shape with the no mar tips.
- Features a reloads indicator to prevent dry firing during use.
- The tool is not adequate for driving in pins that are 1 inch long and beyond.
- It does not feature the usual safety mechanism thus being a bit challenging to users that are not used to the double trigger design.
2/ PORTER-CABLE PIN138
The porter cable PIN138 23 Gauge pin nailer is lightweight and is well featured to provide an excellent performance to any professional home maker.
- Dual Trigger Mechanism
As a wood maker, it is important to ensure that your safety needs are properly taken care of. This Porter pin nailer features a dual trigger design that enhances its safety capabilities.
- Dry fire Lock Out
Dry fire lock out ensures that the user doesn’t fire when the nail quantity is low. This way the accuracy and the efficiency of the tool is heightened.
- Depth Controls
The PORTER-CABLE PIN138 23 gauge pin nailer is designed with a convenient depth adjustment. This in turn provides the user with the convenience of driving in pins with varying lengths.
- Enhanced Motor Design
The enhanced motor design of this pin nailer eliminates instances of oil spillages on the wood maker and the working area.
Weighing 2.2 pounds only, this tool is quite versatile and flexible. We highly recommend it for users engaged in wood making activities that would require ease of portability.
- Easy Jam Release
Designed with a removable nose piece, this pin nailer provides adequate ease while getting rid of jam from the tool.
- It is light thus provides ease of portability for the user.
- Features a load indicator to enhance the user safety of the tool.
- It gets rid of empty nail-hole marks on the material.
- With an improved motor design, the tool provides a clean working environment for the user.
- Operates smoothly even without the need for oil.
- Comes with a rear exhaust to drive out debris from the material.
- The user needs to be extra careful while using the 23 gauge pins with this tool
3/ PORTER-CABLE PIN100
This is an outstanding pin nailer from Porter that is effectively featured to provide an exciting user-experience for wood makers. Here are some of the exciting features you will get to enjoy with this great wood working tool.
- Dual Trigger Feature
With the PORTER-CABLE PIN100 1/2-Inch to 1-Inch 23-Gauge Pin Nailer, you won’t have to worry about your safety. It comes with a dual trigger design that optimizes the safety and accuracy of the tool.
- Easy Loading
This pin is designed with auto adjust-ability that gives room for varied fastener lengths. This in turn provides easy loading convenience to the user.
Comfort is an important aspect that can enhance the productivity of a wood maker. This pin provides the user with a rubber comfort handgrip. You get a first grip to make sure your performance is at the highest level.
- Magazine Capacity
The Portable 100 pin nailer can hold ½ to 1 inch nails. It also has the capability of holding up to 170 pin nails at once.
- Low Nail Indicator
This feature ensures that the user stays on-the-know about the quantity of nails they have left on the magazine. This way the safety and accuracy capabilities of the tool are optimized.
- Provides user comfort with the rubber comfort grip.
- Has the capability to drive in 23 gauge nails ranging from ½ to 1 inches long.
- Features a strong build that enhances its longevity and performance. You can squeeze out years of use from this toll if you take good care for it.
- Comes with a simple design that provides ease of use particularly for woodwork beginners.
- It features the low quantity nail indicator to alert the user when the tool needs reloading.
- Doesn’t feature no mar tips.
- It lacks the rear exhaust design for cleaning up jam from the tool.
4/ BOSTITCH HP118K
Are you a wood maker looking for a lightweight and a durable pin nailer with a customer-friendly price? We would like to recommend this 118K 23 gauge BOSTITCH pin nailer for you.
- Comfort and Convenience
Designed with an ergonomic design, this pin nailer provides the user with a safe and smooth user experience. For comfort, the tool features a rubber comfort grip that is slip-free and properly balanced to fit well into your hand. In regards to convenience the pin nailer is quite compact and is convenient for use in wood making activities involving crafting.
- Adjustable Power Control
This tool lets you stay in control with the adjustable power control feature. With this, you can be able to control pin depths without having to go through the trouble of adjusting the compressor settings.
- Magazine Capacity
You definitely don’t want a pin nailer that will demand frequent loading from you. This BOSTITCH HP118K pin nailer comes with a 200-pin magazine capacity that saves you the trouble of loading it every now and then while at work. You can do a significant amount of work before you need a reload.
- Rear Exhaust
To enhance the longevity of your pin nailer you need to keep it well maintained. For ease of jam release this tool comes with a rear exhaust that helps in the removal of oil and debris from the material being operated on.
- Dual Trigger Mechanism
For heightened and accuracy, the tool is designed with a dual trigger mechanism.
- It is ergonomically designed to provide a pleasant user experience.
- Eliminates regular loading of the magazine thus reducing time wasting and unnecessary strains while at work.
- Safety and accuracy is optimized with the dual trigger.
- With the sturdy aluminum housing, the tool gives the user an assurance of longevity and high performance.
- Most customers complain about regular jamming of the tool.
- It lacks the no mar tips feature.
5/ Grex P635
The Grex P635 23 Gauge 1-3/8-Inch Length Headless Pinner is a powerful tool that is properly featured for a clean operation while engaging in wood works.
- Narrow Nose
This pin nailer is pretty ideal for a wood worker with the need of penetrating tight areas and corners. It features a narrow nose, which gives room for the user to reach the concealed areas of the trim work.
- Rear Exhaust
You will definitely need a pin nailer that will provide you with ease of cleaning. This Grex P635 nailer comes with a rear exhaust that provides optimal convenience when it comes to cleaning up debris. Moreover, the rear exhaust also features a built in silencer that eliminates noise production during debris removal. It is the perfect woodwork tool for the pros.
- Auto Adjust Magazine
The tool’s magazine adjusts automatically so won’t have to keep making adjustments every time you insert a different pin length. It will save you time especially when you are pressed for tight deadlines.
In the pin nailer market, this is one of the most powerful tools you will come across. It is able to drive in pins even through the hard woods such as the beech and the oak.
- Double Trigger
The Grex P635 23 Gauge 1-3/8-Inch Length Headless Pinner also comes with the double trigger design to ensure that the user gets to enjoy maximum safety and accuracy.
- The tool is able to contain long pins of up to 1- 3/8 inches.
- With the self-adjusting magazine, the user can be able to use different pins without going through the trouble of making regular adjustments for varying pin lengths.
- It is powerfully built to penetrate effortlessly even through the hardwood materials.
- Provides a clean finish without leaving any traces of nail holes or splits. For someone who likes finesse on complete woodworks, this should be your choice.
- Some users find trouble being able to make a distinction between safety and control triggers.
6/ Grex P650L
In need of a powerful motor that is able to penetrate through all kinds of hardwood materials? The Grex P650L 23-Gauge 2-Inch Headless Pinner will be a great option for you. Let us have a look at some of the exciting features you get to experience with this pin nailer.
- Lock out Mechanism
Dry firing may cause unnecessary damages while working on wood. This Grex P650L pin nailer comes with a lockout mechanism that ensures the user does not drive in pins while there is a low pin quantity.
- Powerful Motor
If you are wood working on hard materials, you need not worry. This pin nailer features a powerful motor that provides room for efficient fastener penetration through such materials. This way, the user is not just limited to using this tool while only handling softwood materials.
- Removable nose Cover
Clearing jam from your tool is a great way to ensure that you get optimal performance from it. The Grex P650L 23-Gauge 2-pin nailer is designed with a removable nose cover that ensures ease while clearing up jam.
- Comfortable Grip
Acquiring a pin nailer with a comfortable handgrip can be a great gateway to enhancing your performance. This outstanding pin nailer comes with a rubber-comfort handle that gives the user a firm slide-free grip during use.
- Provides ease in clearing up jam through the removable nose cover.
- Features a powerful motor that is sturdy enough to drive pins through hardwood materials.
- Enables the user to access tight areas and corners efficiently with the extended narrow nose.
- It is compact and lightweight thus enabling the user to maneuver with ease while on their wood working activities.
- Needs a little precaution while handling the double trigger option since it doesn’t require any nose tip pressure.
7/ Fasco 11297F F23C A64-50PB
The Fasco 11297F F23C A64-50PB 23-Gauge Headless Pinner comes with an attractive design and is an excellent tool for effectively shooting pins during wood working.
- Auto Adjust
Regular adjustment of fastener lengths while at work maybe pretty tasking and time-consuming. To avoid such occurrences, this Fasco pin nailer is designed with an auto adjusting mechanism. It automatically adjusts to accommodate varying lengths that lie within the tool’s length limit.
- Length Capacity
It features an extended length capacity of ½ to 2 inches which is pretty notable compared to the length limits of other regular pin nailers in the market.
- Lock out Capability
With this tool, you do not have to get worried about dry firing. With the lock out feature that is designed along, the user gets a notification every time they need to load the magazine.
- Rear Exhaust
For ease of cleaning out debris and oil, this pin nailer tool comes with a rear exhaust. The feature is also designed with an inbuilt silencer that ensures debris elimination is done quietly.
- Has an extended length capacity meant to enable the user to work with varying pin lengths comfortably.
- Enhances user experience with the lock out design that eliminates dry firing occurrences.
- It is easy to use and operates pretty quietly.
- Nail placement is quite hassle-free since there is no recoil involved.
- Features the double trigger design, which enhances safety and accuracy while working.
- It possesses an excellent fastening strength without leaving any marks behind.
- Most users experience regular jamming while at work.
- A number of users experience a challenge in distinguishing the safety and shoot triggers.
8/ Senco 8F0001N
Any professional wood worker looking for a fairly featured pin nailer will definitely find satisfactory features in this Senco 8F00IN nail pinner tool.
- Powerful Motor
The tool is designed with a powerful motor that is meant to enhance its capability of driving through hardwood materials with ease. This way you will not have to get concerned about damaging the tool while working on hard wood surfaces.
- Narrow Nose Capability
This feature ensures that the carpenter is able to access the concealed areas and corners of the material being worked on without much trouble. You can be sure of firm finishes on your projects.
- Lock-out Design
For a healthy working environment, it is essential for the wood worker to ensure that you do not engage in dry firing. This outstanding pin nailer features a lock-out design that keeps the user informed when the nail quantity is getting low. You will not be taken by surprise when the nail magazine is empty.
- Ergonomic Design
This Senco pin nailer features a comfortable hand grip that ensures the user does not get overly tasked while working. Moreover, the grip is slide-free thus saving the user from damages that may occur from accidental falls of the nail pinner.
- Provides ease of use with the ergonomic design.
- The user can be able to do a clean job with the narrow nose design that enables them to access the corners and concealed areas.
- No room for dry firing with the lock-out feature design.
- Debris and oil removal is smooth and noise-free with the quiet rear exhaust.
- With the powerful motor design, this tool allows the user to drive through hard wood surfaces without much struggle.
- We noted that some users find it a little bit of a challenge to adapt to the metric system of the tool. It can be quite confusing for someone used to the empirical system.
The first thing you will need to look at while out to purchase a pin nailer is your budget. This enables you to navigate correctly towards the type of tool that fits your budget.
Another important aspect to look at while at this is the purpose of the tool. If you will be engaging in hardwood wood working activities, we would recommend that you purchase the high-end models that have stronger performance capabilities. Do not forget to insist on versatility since you may have to work with different nail sizes.
As you buy your pin nailer, it is crucial you understand the method of nail firing. Different manufacturing gives them different names, but you should get it right. Contact means you can fire one nail at a time. What you have to do is press on the trigger and the job gets done.
Single-sequential firing does not give you the room to subsequently fire nails. You should use the trigger and safety tip subsequently when firing nails. Single actuation means you should subsequently hold the trigger and safety tip to fire the first nail. After that, you can bump fire the other nails.
With full sequential, you have to subsequently use the trigger and safety tip for each nail. It is the safest way to work with a nailer; get the job done and be safe all the time.
Do not forget to make an informed choice on nailer’s source of power. It could pneumatic, where you use air compression for your nailer. While you can put this kind of nail to heavy wood works, the hose and compressor limit its portability.
A battery powered nailer gives you room for mobility, start up fast, but is not as powerful as the pneumatic option. You can also choose a fuel-driven pin nailer. It uses combustion as a source of energy. It is portable and suitable for heavy-duty wood work projects.
We always recommend that you do thorough research before you decide what to buy. Compare a few nailer options before you settle for the ideal one. As long as you take the time to make your decision, you will not regret.
- Why get a pin nailer?
It is an important tool to avoid damaging weak wood materials by tools like the brad nailer.
- What is the difference between a pin nailer and a brad nailer?
The major difference between the two is that brad nailers have multiple trigger options, unlike the pin nailers that mostly have the double trigger settings.
- Can I use another type of nailer other than the pin nailer?
We would say no to this if the kind of material you are working on is delicate because you will leave it damaged at the end of the day.
Whether you are an experienced carpenter or you are just new in the wood making, the above given best pin nailer review 2018 will be good for you. In the review, we have provided a number of options that you can go for depending on the features that you need for your woodwork activities. All you need to do is identify the one that effectively suits your wood working needs. We hope this guide and reviews have been an eye opener and you now know exactly what you need. Make your purchase today and add some flair to your woodwork projects.